Monday, February 16, 2009

Forestry 101

Last Saturday we went to check on my grandmother and the farm. Grant and my Dad and I went out to check on on the newly planted pine trees. Here's a picture of Grant straightening a baby tree while my Dad supervises. My Dad has had most of my Granddad's farm planted with these little beauties recently.

This is a tremendous gift my parents are giving to me and my brother and our families for the future. Although Jay and I don't like to talk about it, my Dad is very practical in pointing out that he may not be around when it's time to harvest these trees. Jay and I always thought we'd end up farming that land some day and now we know we will be, just not cows or crops.

8 comments:

The Nicholsons said...

Amen Brother...At first glance I thought that was an old picture of you and Pop. Great photo! - Bosky Boo

Ferdlings said...

I don't know what to say except that I really loved that story. They say the best time to plant a tree is 15 years ago. The second best time is today.

Tim O'Keefe said...

And every time you check on those trees, every one that is eventually cut and then replanted will remind you of the wonderful people responsible for those trees, that life, that magical place. You are blessed, my friend. Forestry 101 = Life 101

Todd R. Vick said...

I will plan on buying my Christmas Trees from you in about 15 years.

Alan said...

Very good story, George. I am reminded that the woods you and I played in as children were planted by my mother's father. He died when she was 17, yet the legacy of the trees were a big part of my childhood. Thanks for the reminder.

Alan said...

actually, "the legacy of the trees was a big part of my childhood."

soulick: the ever so gentle love of a starship pilot.

Kyle said...

Trees create drag that keeps the world from spinning too fast.
Your trees may save the world!

Rick said...

"Russ, we're going out to find the Griswald family Christmas tree" - "Dad, where's the ax?" - good times, good times.