Monday, August 6, 2007

Session Work

I've got a gig this evening. I'm laying down bass tracks for Unto Him, a trio of guys from my church who are trying to break into "the biz". I played for them last winter when they opened for Larnelle Harris. They recorded three songs from that performance and have been selling approximately 50 CDs per show since then. Pretty cool tunes, with lots of thick vocal harmonies. They play guitars, percussion, and mandolin too. Kinda' reminds me of Jars of Clay.

They're recording all this week at Strawberry Skies recording studios. It's been a long time since I've been in a real studio (back in my Nashville days), so long in fact, that I played a completely different instrument back then. Nevertheless, I think it should go well and I should be in and out of there in less than two hours (as my recollections of studio work include quick work for the bass players.)

Once the projects is complete, they're going to shop it with some Labels and try to get some "air time" locally. I'm so out of touch with that world anymore (if I ever actually was), I have no idea if they're doing things right or not. Even though this is a paid gig, I'm going to persuade them into letting me post the songs as MP3s on my Blog. That will be their ticket to stardom for sure!

No comments: