A week ago I completed the remaining 46+ miles of the Foothills Trail (from Table Rock State Park to Upper Whitewater Falls). Last Year, I did the western section (Upper Whitewater Falls to Oconee State Park) with Paul and Kyle, but this year I finished it up with my pal, Tom. It was a rough 5-day trip, with rain all day on Friday and into the night, but otherwise beautiful. We finished safely and on schedule.
I always learn some things that help me fine tune my technique. Here are some of the things I learned (or re-learned) this trip:
- Beef Jerky is really just not that good.
- Pack and dress in layers. Don't bring a 2lb Goretex pull-over, unless it's snowing. A rain shell and a fleece is better.
- Mountain House dehydrated lasagna is awesome.
- You can't pack too many M&M's.
- 1 pair of gloves is enough.
- 2 pairs of underwear are NOT enough.
- Trekking poles are awesome after you've had a high ankle sprain.
- Alcohol stoves are too slow when you're hungry.
- Wet socks take forever to dry in the rain forests of NC/SC.
- If backpacking during bear hunting season, DON'T wear black!